Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

Ubuntu 10.04

I've got an old Ideq 210V that wasn't being used for much, so I decided to install Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic for those who like the Ubuntu lingo) on it a month or so ago. Everything was going swimmingly. I had configured it to connect to my VPN for work and had even set up the SAP GUI on it. It was actually quite useful.

Then I read some reviews of Ubuntu 10.04 which sounded like the bee's knees. Upgrading seemed a cinch, so I gave it a whirl. Unfortuately, I was only able load up the failsafe GNOME mode, which seemed to limit some of my options (for example, I couldn't find the network manager icon anywhere). I thought it might have had something to do with a botched upgrade, so I did a complete reinstall. Same thing.

I was quite vexed and just set it aside for a couple of days. Then I started wondering if it was the amount of memory dedicated to the IGP in the BIOS. I fired it up, set the shared memory to 64M (the maximum) from 16M (the minimum) and it works!Now I just need to get back to where I was a week ago...

No comments: