Search This Blog

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Dismal Magazine

It seems that people have discovered The Economist and that is a good thing. The liberal viewpoint (in the classic free market and limited government sense) and global focus is refreshing compared to most of the chartjunk-riddled and simplistic media in the USA.

I judge the quality of a journalistic effort by its coverage of things I know well, mostly in the information technology area. If the coverage is solid in an area I do know, then I feel I can trust it in an area I don't (e.g. finance, politics in Africa, etc.) The Economist rates very highly in this area, followed by the national newspapers (NYT, WaPo, WSJ) and then the typical newsweeklies (Time, Newsweek, USNWR).

The Economist definitely has a point of view, but they don't hide it and try to present the facts as they see them. It would be nice if more news sources were that transparent and well researched.

No comments: