Search This Blog

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Slower

I drove to Maryland this past weekend with the kids. As an experiment, I decided to see how much better gas mileage the Silver Surfer would get if I drove at the speed limit for the entire trip. It is about a 250 mile drive each way with about half of it on interstates and half on highways plus a little bit of stop and go driving while we were there. The mileage computer (optimistically?) read 23.8 MPG at the end of the trip. This compares to about 20 MPG on other trips where I don't really pay attention to speed (read: drive 5-10 MPH over the limit along with most of the traffic).

According to the calculator here, driving 65 MPH vs. 75 MPH saved me about $10 and took an extra half hour each way. I saved about $20 driving at the speed limit at the expense of an extra hour on the road. Whether it is worth it or not depends on what else you would be doing with that time and how much you like (hate) being in the car.

No comments: