Search This Blog

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Movies

We saw two movies over the holiday season which will probably match our total for the year. Both were entertaining.

The first was Marley and Me which worked well for me. I could relate to the situation that the people were in with career, kids and a dog (although our dog is fairly well behaved net of the occasional escape from the yard). I was a little teary when Marley dies at the end (I don't feel that is a spoiler because don't all good dog movies end that way?) Anyway, it was schmaltzy but fit the bill for a family Christmas movie.

Kate and I had a movie night last night and went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. This one is about a guy, Benjamin, who is born old and gets younger. Benjamin has an existential viewpoint on all of this and understands that everything ends, even if it is going against the typical grain. The lifelong romance he had with Daisy was intriguing and the movie had a realistic take on the types of relationships people have (even if they are going in in reverse). The story was interesting and compelling but it could have been a bit more tightly edited. I'm not sure why people think a 3 hour movie is a good idea - it just makes my butt hurt. 30 minutes of that could have been left on the cutting room floor and it would not have impacted the story. This was the best movie I've seen in the last year. See it but be sure to bring your neck pillow to the theater.

No comments: