Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2011

X8

A month ago, I ran across a great deal ($159) on an unlocked Sony Xperia X8 on newegg.com. I've had an interest in trying an Android phone and this seemed like a good way to test the waters with minimum risk.


I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I've been impressed with the phone so far. It is about two generations behind the most recent phones but it does the basics pretty well. The screen is small but sharp and responsive to gestures. I especially like the form factor which is quite small and fits in a pocket quite easily. The industrial design is simple - basic black with a minimum of frills and decor.

Probably the most disappointing aspect is that the phone is pretty underpowered compared to modern phones and can take a few seconds to respond to commands. But, for the price, you really can't beat it. I'm impressed enough with Android (I also have a rooted nook - more about that later) to put it at the top of my list for my next major phone upgrade. Blackberry, it's been nice knowing you.

No comments: