Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Wireless

My trusty old ZyXEL x-550 router started to give up the ghost so I was in the market for a new wireless router. After long and deliberate consideration consisting of reading an email blast from buy.com, I went with a TRENDnet TEW-639GR (I would put a link in but apparently, this model has been discontinued) It was $40 shipped for a Wireless N router, so I figured it was worth a try.

So far, so good. Installation was a snap. I think it took me longer to figure out where to plug in the wall wart than actually set up the router. Basically, it was unplug the old and plug in the new. I haven't tested extensively, but so far, I have a strong signal and it hasn't dropped me once even though I am all the way across the house in a place that was always a trouble spot for the x-550. The only thing that I might miss is that it doesn't support DD-WRT which I would like to experiment with.

I'm continually amazed at the sharp improvement of price to performance in wireless networking gear. I think I paid twice as much for half of the performance when I bought the X-550 about 5 years ago.

No comments: