Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Redeye


I'm done with the redeye. I flew from San Francisco to Atlanta and then to Wilmington, NC earlier this month, departing SFO at 10:25 PM PT and arriving ILM 9:44 AM ET. I had some trepedation about the flight beforehand because I was assigned seat 30D on the 767 from SFO to ATL. That is essentially in the middle of a row in a sea of humanity in a small aluminum tube. More or less a death sentence for enjoyment of the flight.


The flight was completely booked and nothing I did could get me out of that seat. I tried to upgrade using (worthless) points, but got denied. I tried calling. I tried the website every 4 hours. My persistence paid off and on my last try before I rebooked to Friday (cutting into my vacation), I hit the jackpot and grabbed an exit row aisle.


The flights were smooth and everything departed and arrived on time. I even got some sleep. But I felt like death warmed over the next day. Even after a nap, I was extremely tired and my legs were killing me. If I can't handle a flight in the best seat in the house outside of first, then I shouldn't be doing it. So, no more redeye for me.

No comments: