Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Ruby

This past December, I bought a new Specialized Roubaix Triple. Now that I've put some miles on it , I feel that I can write a proper review.

I can put it simply: I love this bike! The frame is very forgiving but light and stiff enough for climbing. Many of the roads I ride on around here are a little beat up and have plenty of imperfections. This frame and fork absorb most of the shock and keep it out of your hands, arms and back. Perfect for those of us on the wrong side of 30 (or 40 as the case may be).

Initially, I thought the geometry and laid back demeanor would mean that it would handle like a '76 El Dorado but I've been pleasantly surprised. It's no racing bike, but handles responsively enough for us mere mortals. I feel very comfortable at speed on tight turns.

The most pleasant surprise is how well it climbs. The frame is very stiff laterally and I feel like I can climb all day. Part of that is the triple chain ring. I had to be convinced by the guy at the shop to get a triple instead of a double (a macho thing) and I'm really glad I did. I don't use it often, but there is almost a psychological advantage to knowing that you could get in a lower gear if you needed to. Plus, when you do need it (Camilla St. on the way up Mill Mt.), it saves your legs. I'll gladly take the few extra grams for a lot more gear range.

On the downside, I don't like the stock wheels (Mavic CXP22 rims with Specialized hubs). They are heavy and feel unresponsive. As soon as I can justify it, I'll spring for a new set. Also, I'm not quite as fond of the Shimano STI shifting action as I was really used to Campy Ergopower, but I've been getting used to it. So far the other stock components (seat, handlebars, stem, etc.) are fine and I'm OK with having purchased the low-end model (the next step up was about 30% more).

I'm glad I have Ruby to replace my 1994 Trek 2200 and I'm looking forward to many more miles in the saddle.

No comments: