Search This Blog

Monday, January 14, 2008

52

Episode 52 of The Wire was on last night. I'm not sure of the newspaper angle being pursued in this season - I kind of like it, but I haven't warmed up to the characters yet. There is the hard boiled city desk editor, the suits and the (overly) ambitious reporter. So far, none of them has caught my attention like McNulty, Omar, Bunk or Bubbles. I guess we will have to see how well it goes.

Anyway, the story last night was mostly about how broke the police in Baltimore are (morally as well as financially?) and the toll that it is taking on their work. Of course, politics aren't helping either with the Feds and state not helping out because they are on the opposite side of the aisle from Mayor Carcetti (is he supposed to be Martin O'Malley?) Dropping an investigation of 22 homicides when they are pretty close to being able to pin them on Chris and Snoop is pretty tragic. Now Marlo and his crew are going to be "dropping some bodies" big time.

I like that McNulty is drinking and chasing skirts again. He was boring when he was happy. He seems a little darker now though and the crime scene hijinks he was pulling last night was pretty crazy. It'll be interesting to see where all this leads.

The side story with Bubbles is kind of dull. He is in recovery and feeling pretty bad about accidentally killing Sherrod. Ho-hum. Why is his sponsor sweating him on it?

Overall, not a bad episode but not one of the best. We need more Omar.

1 comment:

dsbowers said...

We just got HBO about 2 months ago, because my wife decided to stop waiting for me to pry open my wallet and just went and ordered it on her own.

So, we've missed The Wire entirely. I don't remember the last time any show had so much press. Is it just that the writers strike left us with nothing else? I've not seen one bad review, so looks like we will be doing the DVD catch up on The Wire.

Hey, I like the new blog, especially the observations from the airport.