Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

wifi woes

UPDATE: I got the new power supply today and it works. So, now it is just a matter of finding the time to put the ZyXEL back in service and return the Netgear (which seems to have started working better for some reason).

A year or so ago, I bought a ZyXEL X-550 router to replace an ancient router that I'd been using for years (remember Xircom anyone?) The X-550 is an excellent router with great range and a host of useful features. I was really glad I bought it.

However, in December 2007, it died. So I went to the local Staples and bought a Netgear WGR614 off the shelf. My wife was starting to suffer Internet withdrawal (not pretty) and I had bought this same model for my in-laws cabin a few months back and it seems to work fine there. However, at our house, with 2-3 computers connected and a larger area, it was worthless. It takes forever to establish a connection and even then there is a good chance you will not get a functional IP address. I upgraded the firmware and tried all of my geek tricks (different security models, transmission types, etc.) but it is still pretty lame.

Turns out, there is a history of power supply problems with the X-550 and ZyXEL allows you to order a replacement power supply free of charge with a minimum of hassle. I ordered it this morning and will put the X-550 back in service as soon as the PS gets here. I appreciate the good customer service, but the product quality is pretty poor. Plus, you have to wonder how many times a company in a competitive area like SOHO network equipment can do something like that and stay in business.

I'm pretty tech savvy and this frustrated me greatly and cost me a lot of time and some money (I guess I can return the Netgear if I have the receipt somewhere). Why can't these companies get it right?

No comments: