Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

UPDATE: After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I tried turning off services in the control panel. Turns out, it was the Cisco VPN service that I use to connect to a customer site. This service was conflicting with the Microsoft VPN service. They used to work together (I've had it installed since March of last year), but maybe the customer changed something on the configuration. The fix is to turn off the Cisco VPN service when I want to use the Microsoft VPN.

I've got the strangest thing going on with my laptop. I use a VPN to connect to the servers I manage in Stamford, CT and I'm getting Error 721. Basically, this means that the system is not responding. Usually, the cause of this kind of error is some kind of firewall between the VPN client and the server that is blocking the response from the server. Easy-peasy.

I double-check the settings on my ZyXEL router and they look fine. Resetting the router doesn't help. Next, I move on to the local firewall. I turn off the firewall in Windows Live OneCare (which has worked well to help me keep my systems patched and backed up) and try again. No dice. Thinking it has something to do with my Internet connection (maybe Cox is blocking GRE traffic? UPDATE: Would you call that a Cox block?), I try my T-Mobile Internet Connection card which definitely worked the week of Jan 7th. Nope.

Since this used to work, I'm wracking my brain to figure out what changed. Just for a laugh, I try the PPTP configuration I set up on my old Puppy Laptop. It connects right away.

It has to be some kind of local configuration my XP system. But what? I don't think I've changed anything in the past two weeks that was network related. GRRRRR.

No comments: