Search This Blog

Friday, February 8, 2008

Soft reset

My T-Mobile Dash went completely insane yesterday. As part of the fun of the past week, it started to randomly call people (?!?) and forget my contacts list. I'd go to call someone and hit the first letter of their name and nothing. Since I don't actually know anyone's real phone number just how to select them from a list, that is a problem.

The final straw occurred yesterday on the flight home during my stopover in Atlanta. I hit the power button to turn it on after we landed (I actually think this is now a Pavlovian response - if I am in an airplane that has just landed, I must turn something on) and it just cycled through the T-Mobile startup screen over and over again.

Since I now realized something was seriously amiss, I pulled out anything that can be removed (battery, SIM, microSD card), replaced them and restarted it. That was enough to start it back up. I made a phone call and noticed that my battery was just about dead, just in time for my Roanoke bound flight. Since I was headed home (late, but within the 2 hour window that Delta seems to consider part of the schedule), I fought the urge to restart it on landing in Roanoke (I did notice some drooling) and just plugged it in for the night once I got home.

This morning, after a full charge, I tried to start it up again and it started the doom loop again. Time to hit the internet. After some searching, it seems that a soft reset was needed. Of course, this would clear a year of installed applications (among them Kevtris, Viigo, Nine Hole Golf), bookmarks and customization. I somberly played taps and then held down the fateful two buttons that reset a year's worth of phone use.

The good news is that my phone seems happier now with the painful memories of the past erased. And the circle of life starts again...

No comments: